Alterations to Woolworth’s old premises in progress, in February 1968. Originally numbers 1 & 2, London Road were private dwellings similar to the adjoining buildings to the north. In the 1880’s they were converted to small shops and business premises. After a life of nearly 100 years they were bought by Woolworths, demolished and replaced in 1927 by the rather ugly building seen in these photographs of February 1968. Woolworths had moved to much larger premises in 1965 and Sainsburys who had been next door, at no 3 for more than 50 years bought out the premises for conversion to a self-service store. Part of Providence Place at the rear has been stopped up on this account.
Image Reference: JG_10a_012.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 142x111
Additional Information: No comment
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society