Private houses with long front gardens. 13, 14& 15, three of a terrace of five, as they were in 1900. London Road, when laid out in the 1830’s, consisted almost entirely of private houses, and as late as 1876 only 9 of the 73 buildings on the west side were occupied as shops. The gardens disappeared in 1903 when London Road was widened and the conversion to shops was accelerated. By 1916 only three private houses remained and the last of these, no 86 on the east side was changed over to commercial use in 1929. The only building not now in business use is St Bartholomew’s Clergy House.

Image Reference: JG_10a_028.tif
Date: 1900
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 157x197
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society