Identifying this house proved to be quite a difficult problem. Although obviously it faced into New England Road, it was in fact 74 London Road, the last house on the West side of that road. Built about 1840 it was the home of Henry Longhurst whose Amber Ale Brewery was across the road where the Fire Station is now. Known as Brighton Lodge it remained in private occupation until in 1924, Lloyds Bank converted the ground floor into offices with an entrance from London Road. In 1906 the garden wall and pavement had been set back several feet to make more room for the trams. The building was demolished in 1935 when the entire corner was rounded off, as we know it.

Image Reference: JG_10a_095.tif
Date: 1895-1899
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 154x202
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society