NEW ENGLAND ROAD
Panoramic view of the cleared area from New England Street, showing the cleared Elder Street and the site of the narrow Elder Row. The photograph was taken in August, 1961.
In New England Road is seen the St Saviour’s Mission where the last service had been held on Whit Sunday, 1961. This was built in 1874 and in 1920 it was licensed and affiliated to St Saviour’s church, Ditchling Road. Its future is now a matter for the Charity Commissioners.
Image Reference: JG_10a_169.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 198x89
Additional Information: This area has been recently ravished again and now would be unrecognisable to JS Gray, being covered in large blocks of flats and shops.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society