This photograph forms an interesting compliment to those of Old Duke Street which appear on the preceding pages. It was copied from an old photograph of 1867. In that year Duke Street was widened from 17 feet to its present width of 32 feet by the removal of all the houses on the north side including those that hemmed in Holy Trinity Church. Here can be seen the widened road, the refaced wall of the Church and the demolition in progress of one of the old houses, probably the original No.34.
A century ago photography attracted quite a crowd of interested bystanders.
Image Reference: JG_08_029.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 210x154
Additional Information: No comment
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society