This is a photograph of the very narrow Black Lion Street in 1887. Two years later, in 1889, the street was widened by the removal of the old houses on the east side, facing the Brewery. As evidence of the age of this street, the lintel of one of the houses since removed bore the date 1669.
Image Reference: JG_08_105.tif
Image Details: Original sepia toned monochrome print
Size of Original: 296x232
Additional Information: Despite the date given by JSG, the poster shows recitals in the Royal Pavilion on Saturdays, Nov. 3 & 17 and December 1: this was in 1888. Note the lion on the top of the brewery, restored and placed on the new building today. The playbill on the door of the building on the right, displays the chamber concert due at the Royal Pavilion, with well know stars of the time as Miss Kuhe & Leo Stern. Penfolds, the Bakers had a well-worn step into Albert House on the corner of Prince Albert Street.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society