OLD DUKE STREET
Duke Street, formerly Craggs Lane, is one of the oldest streets in the town. In this photograph, the original of which was taken in 1850, can be seen the very narrow street which was only 17 feet wide. There were actually houses adjoining the south wall of Holy Trinity Church.The church was built as Trinity Chapel for Thomas Reade Kemp in 1817 and almost certainly these houses were already there then. The small photograph on the right (next) gives an even clearer view of this corner.
Image Reference: JG_08_012.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 203x161
Additional Information: Note the large tree in Duke Street and the ghostly figure of a woman looking out of the top window of the flint house next to the church.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society