The widening of Duke Street in the winter of 1867. All the buildings on the north side were removed and here the clearance has got as far as Middle Street seen left. The double-fronted house, number 34, was occupied for many years by F Schenk, Clock and Watch Maker, and he may have been responsible for the clock tower seen here. After the removal of the houses the trees, hitherto hidden away in Dukes Court, were left standing in the middle of the widened road and were dug out in 1868.
Image Reference: JG_08_014.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 126x167
Additional Information: On the corner of Duke Street is no. 21 Middle Street: Phillips, Tea Dealer and Wine Merchant.
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society